Sunday, July 12, 2009

Are you guys sure about this?


I was a County Commissioner once. I let with a pretty high opinion of local government, or at least its potential to serve people the way they want to be served. So I wince every time I hear "Government" slammed as some kind of lumbering monster, with no sense that the process is very different, with very different accessibility for citizens who care, at the national, state and local level.

Once in a while, though, local leaders do something that seems to prove the critics' point that they don't know what life is like for folks struggling to make a living. I pointed out a clasic example in this week's column and suggested a remedy. I'm wondering if anyone cares.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a senior who just asked the Co-op to remove our senior discount since we might actually pay taxes this year, thanks to a wise investment advisor, I have a lot of trouble with someone making $155,000/yr. receiving such an increase. Maybe it's not as jaw-dropping as the big bank CEOs' taking bonuses after getting bailouts, but it's local. Somehow I'd always thought local was a bit more closely watched and thus produced actions that were a bit more ethical.

joannag said...

jeff..lost the e-mail before I could open it. Can you resend? joanna g. xxc

joannag said...

jeff...e-mail crashed as I saw your mal..resend? Joanna G.