Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Columnist Returns

This may blow my cover and reveal me as a Baby Booming Luddite, but for all the ease of blogging I sure enjoy reading and writing op-ed columns. I've had the chance to write maybe 300 of them over the years, and they're just plain fun.

I've recently been given the central space on the op-ed page of every weekend edition (Saturday only) of The Daily Tidings in Ashland, Oregon. I'm going to use it primarily not to opine but to explore why the prevailing level of public discourse is so lame, and what we might be able to do about it. And I'm going to run it like a talk radio show. The ongoing name of the column, in fact, is "Talk Newspaper."

The first one ran last three days go on Saturday, and this is what it said. I'll post future columns after I write them. Comments always welcome.

2 comments:

Slorisb said...

Talk Newspaper! What a concept!
I've really been thinking that there should be some way to have focused dialog on issues of importance in our valley. I'd given up on newspapers, because forum's there are mostly negative "shouting" back and forth by anonymous people.
Good job Jeff. I'm with you on this one.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

I love the idea of "talk newspaper" and maybe I'm a little bit of a romantic these days but it brings images to mind of Ben Franklin and The Leather Apron Club and Tom Paine... using the newspaper as it was originally intended as a voice of the people and a voice for the issues at hand.

Great articles Jeff! I look forward to reading more. Can I read your pieces online? I cant get the Daily Tidings where I am.