Friday, March 28, 2008

Using Obama: A Context for Immense Possibilities Radio

Barack Obama blew through our little town of Medford last weekend, dishing up hope and an unexpected opportunity to talk about how my new venture, Immense Possibilities Radio, fits into the mix. I accepted an offer to write a long-form article for the fascinating Ashland periodical Sentient Times to announce IPR's launch into the world. The link between Obama's visit and IPR came to me at the end of his Medford speech, when after listing great goals he said “That’s what can happen when YOU set the agenda. When democracy works the way it should. It requires you to be involved. It’s not enough just to vote…you and I together, we can change the country and change the world!”

What struck me was how often we've heard that in stump speeches and how little we act on it. That's exactly what I want IPR to take on, and that informed the essay. See what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched most of your first IPR broadcast with Francis Moore Lappe as your guest.

I was surprised by how earnest and sincere you seem in person Jeff. That was lost on radio with your disembodied voice, which is too bad because of the judgement it left me with.

Francis has really changed her message from it's all this over-production of beef and a lack of money from a year or so ago to it's we the people, coming alive. It's inspiring that she has refined her message to point us all back home to ourselves where the heart of the matter is.

This seems like a timely and hopeful endeavor of yours and I wish you the best.

Dea