Monday, August 13, 2007

Let's get started

“Let’s Take America Back.”

That’s the slogan I chose for the prospective U.S. Senate campaign I’ve been exploring for the past two months. For me its power comes from ten years hosting a daily public radio talk show, listening to countless callers say pretty much the same thing: “What country is this we’re living in? And what did they do with the one I learned to love as a child?” It didn’t matter which party they belong to or where they stand on today’s issues. They all want their country back.

Some of my callers would explain, often in well-informed detail, how America’s corporate elite have Congress, the White House, the mass media, the election process and the financial system wired up so tight that We the People can never regain power (and what fun and merry conversations those were). Certainly true… if that’s what we believe. And if it is then we’re saying that a couple hundred thousand elites can permanently keep three hundred million of us from having what we want.

I’m sorry, but that’s just too embarrassing to accept. So what if we don’t? What if instead we remembered that we still openly elect our leadership in this country (we’ll talk another day about the growing scale of electronic fraud that brings that premise into question), which gives us some power and responsibility to move this country towards what we want it to be? What would happen if we took that belief, and the work/pleasure of citizenship necessary to animate it, much more seriously?

That’s one question that drove me to look hard at a run for the Senate. And the first thing I noticed was that just about every non-incumbent campaign I can find is making some kind of reference to “taking our country back.” Seems like we have an early nominee for the most overworked cliché of 2008.

Fine. So what does it mean? And how do we do it? This post begins a campaign to answer those questions. We start with a conversation, but conversation alone isn’t enough.. Remember this one?



Network came out in 1976. Think how much we have taken in the thirty years since. In the real world. sad to say, ‘not taking it anymore’ demands more of us than screaming that we’re not going to take it anymore.

I'm committed to challenging all of us to discover and advance whatever it takes to really take our country back. A partisan run for the U.S. Senate, boxed in by the demands of 10-second sound bites, dialing for dollars and delivering the goods to campaign contributors, turns out to be a poor way to do that. And it’s not just the campaign process that’s taken America astray; we have to take a fresh look at the core notion that everything will be fine if we just put good people into office. I'll bet you remember this one:


That fictional Mr. Smith held forth in 1939. Maybe back then white knights like Jimmy Stewart were enough to save the day (I doubt it). Today we know better. We can send the best people we know into the entrenched power matrix of Washington and they won’t take our country back for us. They need us with and behind them, actively, persistently, sometimes raucously, to overcome the huge hurdles that a century of big-money politics has set in place.

Did I mention that this revived citizenship has to be satisfying and (at least occasionally) fun? That’s because if it’s not, we won’t take it on. If you’re not thinking that your life is too busy to take on any more responsibilities, you’re unusual. The biggest challenge to taking our country back is finding ways to engage that enrich rather than drain energy from our lives. The activism we’re here to foster will flow from what we want more than what we “should” do.

Here’s the good news: a lot of activists within reach of this blog have experience and ideas on how to do that, and we’ll find out what they are. Better news: America's bursting at the seams with all kinds of smart, creative groups and organizations devoted to taking our country back. We’ll link to them to learn what works, what’s enriching and productive, what isn’t. I don't know about you, but when I get excited about a project I can forget that there are usually a lot of terrific ideas already out there for the sharing; it’s far too late in the game to burn up precious energy reinventing wheels. In the words of the Hopi Elder Prayer,
"This could be a good time! There is a river flowing now very fast. It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid. They will try to hold on to the shore. They will feel they are being torn apart and
will suffer greatly... Know the river has its destination. The elders say we must let go of the shore, push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open, and our heads above the water. And I say, see who is in there with you and celebrate…. The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!”

Okay. Let’s gather ourselves.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Mad as Hell" clip says it all!
I want to find that passion in myself and put it to good use..

Thanks for giving me an outlet to express myself..

I look forward to more ideas on how to take action, individually and with others..

Lets get started!

Jeff Golden said...

Peter, you're a leader... welcome.

A key resource for us is our accumulated experience. What kind of involvements have and haven't brought us to life before? What are the common threads we can learn from? We're going to explore that in a big way.

heiland said...

Great colunn, Jeff.
I don't think our problem is lack of passion. We are all mad-as-hell. The people of Iraq are certainly mad-as-hell, and a lot of good it does them.
Americans love simple solutions. That's why we have to choose between Mitt Romney and Hilllary. If the solutions were simple, a little passion jarring us out of our inertia might suffice. I'm a smart guy, and I confess I honestly don't know what to do.

Jeff Golden said...

Yes you are a smart guy, Heiland. As for what we can do...that's just what we''l be poking at with the collective wisdom of the conversation we're starting. That conversation will broaden to global scale as some of us add links that inspire us. There's stunningly good work going on out there, and brilliant ideas coming forth every day looking for traction.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

Bravo for your decision, creating this blog and inspiring us forward!

I recently rediscovered a statement that I send to you as a gift. I believe this is a worthwhile perspective and relevant at this time.

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."

Martha Graham, Pioneer of modern dance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Graham_%28dancer%29

Onward.

David

Paul Moss said...

I'm mad as hell and I propose that on
Sept 1 Sunday morning at 9am we take to the streets, internet, wherever and yell "I'm mad as hell and I aint going to take it any more.

Slorisb said...

Hi Jeff,

Good for you for doing this. Finally, a local person with some credibility (persona), and place on line for us to work together on some creative ideas for our future benefit. I plan to participate.

Anonymous said...

Jeff thanks for the blog in what hopefully can be a place not only to express frustration but to move into action.

This country is ours, this country has always been ours, and if nothing else I don't think it needs to be taken back, but we need to remind everyone that it is our country and our elected officials serve at our pleasure, not to "protect" us or keep us safe from the boogeyman.

My frustration and dillemma is this: How can we build up an INFORMED citizenry and get the word out that people dont have to play the political shell game of Democrats vs. Republicans and get people to want to participate in their country again?

Your'e preaching to the choir here, how do we get the word out to citizens who might not be in the know and only get their information from the 11 oclock news?

Charlie McHenry said...

Here's to a fresh, new voice in the progressive blogosphere. Let the conversations begin, as we "take America back" from fear, hate, arrogance, greed and hubris. I offer an old proverb to the mix: Do not go where the path leads, go whee there is no path and leave a trail. Yo-Duh

Sugeet said...

I judge you have come to a wise decision. What I felt missing is what I wanted to hear from you. You are a leader who can start a movement. You can be the seed which can generate groups throughout the state who demand election campaign reform for this state. Once a law, which then focuses on the very problems you have mentioned and more. But as you know, until Oregon has meaningful campaign finance law in place without loopholes, little will happen as out of state money and instate money roll over the populace.

I believe you are the man who can focualize this fight. I also believe that if you are willing to take this on, you will find significant support from grassroots Oregonians. It is also my belief that if you do this, and you create a state wide movement of taking back Oregon, you may well be visible enough to make a successful candidate run for the US Senate.

That is my want, that is my wish. I will support you.

Anonymous said...

Jefff, I'm so glad you put together this blog! Sorry the senate race didn't work out, but I certainly understand your reasoning.

Until fairly recently, I was pretty sure what issues were the most important in American politics. First, real election reform. No more rigged elections; without fair elections, it felt like we'd never get the "good guys" (Democrats, for the most part) elected.

Second, serious campaign finance reform (and limiting any other purchases of our so-called "representatives")

I've changed my mind somewhat now. Due perhaps to the Republicans miscalculating how many votes they needed to steal in 2006, the dems somehow won both the House and the Senate. Hooray, thought I in my naiveté.

Alas, the Democrats have proven to be almost as bad as the Republicans. I doubt it's necessary to explain my thinking to anyone reading your blog, so I won't.

At this point it seems what we need to do is throw them all out and let god sort it out. I don't know how to accomplish this, unfortunately. Perhaps someone will have some ideas as we go along.

As you've stated so well, we are in deep trouble if we don't figure out how to take our government back from the Ruling Class. They care more about themselves, and their "profit" than they do about any of us "normal" people.

Malcolm from Grants Pass

Unknown said...

Jeff,

I admired your willingness to put your past life and career behind you in order to go slay some dragons in Washington DC on behalf of the citizens of Oregon, U.S.A. It takes courage and chutzpah and is much more than the vast majority of us are willing to even contemplate. Just as much, I respect your decision not to run. I know it wasn't for lack of spirit or willingness.

I was planning on voting for you, and even working on your campaign, but now I will have to settle for sharing thoughts with you on this forum. But I'm open to a possible coalescence around you and whatever community/political activism you and your compatriots can generate.

Anonymous said...

My cynicism seems to trump my anger. I am a progressive, a leftist and about to re-register as an independent from a Dem for the umpteenth time in the last decade (post-primary switches).

Tangibles:
How do we repair the fact that elected officials are often as crooked as the day is long?
The current administration is taking a dump on the constitution just like the Dems like to take a dump on the 2nd ammendment. Lars Larson should show up to a debate with his gun. I don't care. Bring your gun Lars. Jeff Golden should ask him to unload it for all of our comfort. Michael Moore showed me that it is not the gun but the "culture of fear" that is killing us in this country.

When we (the people) embrace federalism and libertarianism and conservatism where it is appropriate while we defend the rights of the idigent and oppressed and protect the environment without shame, then maybe my hope will refill.

"I remember we were both out on the boulevard talking revolution and singin the blues. Nowadays its letters to the editor and cheatin on our taxes is the best that we can do" - Steve Earle

Jeff Golden said...

To Paul, who said "I'm mad as hell and I propose that on Sept 1 Sunday morning at 9am we take to the streets, internet, wherever and yell 'I'm mad as hell and I aint going to take it any more.'"
I'm in if we add one element: after we hit the streets, we come together in small groups to start planning what we're going to DO to not take it anymore. If we don't do that, why should anyone believe that we're serious?